I love crockpot recipes because they make healthy eating easy, even on busy days. This Slow Coker Chicken Chili is a comforting dish that is filled with fiber, lean protein, and a healthy dose of veggies and spices! With just a little bit of prep, you can throw a few ingredients in the crockpot and come home from a long day with dinner already ready to be served.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, about 4 large chicken breast halves
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes, diced
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 to 2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Bay leaf Sour cream or shredded cheese, for garnish Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish, optional
How to Make It
- Dice the chicken or cut it into strips. Put the chicken pieces in the slow cooker along with the onion, bell pepper, garlic, drained and rinsed beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then cook on low for 3 to 4 hours longer, or until the chicken is cooked and tender. Or cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese, along with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Serve with cornbread, crackers, or crusty bread.
Makes about 8 hearty servings.
If something has curry in it, there is an almost a 100% chance that I will absolutely LOVE it! Unfortunately, many dishes with a curry flair tend to be pretty involved in the way of prep time and number of ingredients. For me, as a busy, working Mom, I simply don’t have time for any fancy preparations or recipes that take quite a bit of time in the kitchen.
From reading this, can you tell I have a bit of a love affair with my slow cooker?
That was one of the things that first drew me to this dish, Curry Chicken with Ginger & Yogurt. What can I say, I’m in love! My crockpot saves me TIME and MONEY: and as I’m sure you know, both of those things are VERY precious in this world! If a recipe is quick, healthy, clean, and EASY – I’m all about it!
Here’s whats in it!
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Here’s how to make it!
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ¾ cup water. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, add the yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
For extra deliciousness, serve over brown organic rice. To add a bit more green to your plate, add a small handful of raw carrots. In my opinion, you can never have too many GREENS!
The flavor was delicious but not overpowering or too spicy. Both my husband, my kids, and myself gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up! Hope you love this recipe as much as we did!
Fall can be a very beautiful season, but it can also be a cold one. What better way to keep warm than a big bowl of chicken chili with kale?
You may think of chili as greasy and unhealthy but does not have to be true. In fact, this chicken chili with kale recipe is packed with nutrients that are good for you – so much that this chili can be a regular part of a healthy diet and lifestyle.
I LOVE being able to make dishes like this that are hearty and comforting. So many people think that healthy food has to taste LESS appealing than UNHEALTHY food but its dishes like this that can TRICK anyone into eating their greens.
1 bag frozen chicken
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans northern beans
1 can northern beans smashed
1 can green chilies
2 onions chopped
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp cumin
4 cups kale
32 oz chicken stock
Add chicken to crockpot.
Smash one can of beans and add on top of chicken.
Add chopped onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, and spices
Pour chicken stock on top
Let cook for 4-5 hours and then add the rest of the beans and the kale
Cook for another 45 minutes
Top with shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese and ENJOY! We always have salad or steamed broccoli with our chili which can make this crockpot meal can last us for DAYS.