If something has curry in it, there is an almost a 100% chance that I will absolutely LOVE it! Unfortunately, many dishes with a curry flair tend to be pretty involved in the way of prep time and number of ingredients. For me, as a busy, working Mom, I simply don’t have time for any fancy preparations or recipes that take quite a bit of time in the kitchen.
From reading this, can you tell I have a bit of a love affair with my slow cooker?
That was one of the things that first drew me to this dish, Curry Chicken with Ginger & Yogurt. What can I say, I’m in love! My crockpot saves me TIME and MONEY: and as I’m sure you know, both of those things are VERY precious in this world! If a recipe is quick, healthy, clean, and EASY – I’m all about it!
Here’s whats in it!
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Here’s how to make it!
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ¾ cup water. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, add the yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
For extra deliciousness, serve over brown organic rice. To add a bit more green to your plate, add a small handful of raw carrots. In my opinion, you can never have too many GREENS!
The flavor was delicious but not overpowering or too spicy. Both my husband, my kids, and myself gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up! Hope you love this recipe as much as we did!