Real food meets comfort food in this baked Quinoa dish. Casseroles are often are filled with unhealthy ingredients and fat, but this one features all real food ingredients. The chicken and quinoa are loaded with protein and the veggies add the extra bit of vitamins to make this a completely healthy dish!
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded (rotisserie chicken breast is fine)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions + more for garnish, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions. Add to a large mixing bowl along with chicken and cooked broccoli, and mix to combine.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, green onions, oregano, basil, diced tomatoes, and olives; cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes mixture to the quinoa mixture and combine. Add 1½ cup cheese and mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and press on it gently to flatten. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional green onions. Serve warm.